Though it’s never an easy thing to talk about, the best way to protect your child from a dangerous person is to prepare them. Talk about safety openly with your kids so they’re more likely to come to you if something feels wrong. Here are five smart tips to keep your kiddos safe:
1. Make sure you talk to your child about the importance of not talking to, getting into a car with or taking things from strangers.
2. Your child should know your cell number, home phone number, home address and how to call 911. Also, consider making a map of your neighborhood so they know where to go in case of an emergency.
3. Children shouldn’t wear clothes with their names on it. Yes, parents and kids love personalized gear, but it allows strangers to get more information about your children and family.
4. Set-up a secret code with your child just in case a friend or family member has to pick her up without you one day. Test it out to see if your child asks for the code.
5. Be in tune with what’s going on with your child. If he starts talking about new people you’ve never heard of, investigate!
Talking about a topic like this can seem frightening, but if you have a plan and open communication, it can help keep your family safe. Learn more here.