Golf carts or utility task vehicle (UTVs) make it easier for youth sports volunteers and league staff to perform a multitude of tasks. However, the safe use and storage of these vehicles should be primary for any volunteer or employee operating them. Here are five tips for staying safe with golf carts and UTVs:
1. All approved drivers should be 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license.
2. All approved drivers should be trained on how to operate the vehicle per the manufacturer’s manual.
3. All approved drivers should be trained on how to properly store the vehicles when not in use.
4. The vehicles must not be used to carry more people than allowed in the manual.
5. All drivers must also understand the importance of maintaining a slow speed when operating the vehicles around soccer fields filled with players and parents.